At the end of the day, everyone knows the real reason you tailgate before football games… the food! No matter if you are a classic hot dog or hamburger fan, or you tend to make your way to the homemade brownies and chocolate chip cookies, a tailgate is only as good as the delicious food it has to offer.
The key is to make sure you have a treat that you can eat while throwing your bean bag to the cornhole board. This unique snack that will have everyone going nuts… pigs in a “pretzel” blanket! Prepare, cook and have them ready to go in less than 25 minutes; there will be no need to spend $10 on a concession stand pretzel this football season.
- 1 package cocktail franks or mini hot dogs
- 1 lb. pizza dough, 1 ball
- 5 cups of water
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 1 beaten egg
- Sea salt to taste
How to make:
- Make sure pizza dough is room temperature
- Cut the dough into strips
- Stretch the strips out
- Roll the mini hot dogs in pizza dough so that the dough wraps around twice
- Leave ends of the hot dog sticking out and cut off any excess dough
- Put the “pigs in the blanket” on a slightly greased baking sheet
- Bring 5 cups of water to a light boil
- Add the baking soda
- Once dissolved, boil one or two “pigs in a blanket” at a time for 20-30 seconds each
- Remove and place back on tray
- Brush lightly with beaten egg and sprinkle with sea salt
- Once done boiling, bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the dough is nicely browned
- Let the games begin!