Conducting safety checks throughout your home can help prevent a fire. The American Red Cross has provided some easy steps you can take to keep you, your family and your home safe.
Click here to view and print
- Always monitor while cooking and grilling. Never leave an open flame unattended.
- Place furniture, curtains, dish towels and anything that could catch fire three feet from any type of heat source such as fireplaces, space heaters, baseboards, etc.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Ensure small and large appliances are plugged directly into the walls.
- Make sure lighters and matches are locked away from children.
- Change smoke alarm batteries every year unless it has a long-life battery
- Replace smoke alarms every ten years.
- Test your smoke alarms monthly.
- Practice your home escape plan with all family members and record the time it takes to escape; make sure it’s two minutes or less.