Eating healthy foods is challenging during the holidays when there are temptations like homemade baked goods, family comfort meals and endless holiday parties and gatherings. The YMCA of Greater Indianapolis, an Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance community partner, offers a few tips to help you enjoy your favorite goodies without falling behind on the healthy eating track.
- Be diligent about making healthy meal and snack choices early in the day if you have an evening event or gathering.
- Be sure to fit in exercise on days you attend holiday parties or meals.
- Eat a small, healthy snack before attending a holiday event so you’re not ravenous when you arrive.
- Choose one indulgence and enjoy a reasonable portion of it while sitting down, or pick a few items you really love and take a small portion of each.
- When you bring a dish to a gathering, make it a healthy one that you will enjoy.
- Fill up on healthy items, such as raw veggies or fruit, before indulging in treats.
Life’s too short to opt out of holiday treats completely. However, with a holiday action plan, you can balance healthy choices and sweet treats this holiday season.
Source: The YMCA of Greater Indianapolis