It is critically important that each member of your family knows what to do in the event of an emergency, such as a fire, in your home. That is why The American Red Cross suggests the following tips to help ensure everyone in your household is prepared:
- Hold a family meeting to discuss and develop a home evacuation plan.
- Walk through your home and look for all possible escape routes
including both doors and windows.
- Determine two ways to get out of each room in case fire blocks one
of the exit paths.
- Choose a place to meet outside in the event of a fire, and be sure it’s
a safe distance from your home.
- Practice your evacuation plan at least twice a year.
Be sure there are smoke detectors on every level of your home, both inside and outside sleeping areas. Test your smoke alarms monthly, replace the batteries at least once a year and replace the detectors every 10 years.