With our current global pandemic, many of us may feel they have limited options for celebrating another trip around the sun. Although the typical celebration venues are now closed, we are seeing many Hoosiers get creative and continue the fun celebrations. From a neighborhood drive-by to a video conference party consisting of 15 to 20 four-year-olds, a pandemic doesn’t need to stop anyone from celebrating their birthday in 2020!
Here are five ways to celebrate your birthday, despite the pandemic:
- Set up your favorite restaurant in your own kitchen and either make or order in your favorite meal. This is a creative way to treat yourself to the meal you’ve been waiting for all year. Order your food through pick-up or delivery, set the table, have fun music playing in the background and enjoy. Don’t forget to have dessert at the end and surprise the birthday girl or boy when you start singing happy birthday!
- Invite your friends and family to a video call for an hour on your big day. Have everyone enjoy a dessert while on the call and recall funny memories about the birthday girl or boy! This is a fun way to catch-up with your loved ones, without breaking social distancing guidelines
- Are you close with the people in your neighborhood? Send an email out to your community for a drive-by celebration. Maybe someone has turned the big 4-0? They need a proper party for that milestone! Have everyone drive-by and honk to celebrate the birthday girl or boy.
- Try something new for your birthday this year. Make it a birthday of firsts and do something you have never done before. Whether it is a one-mile run, 5k or 10k in your neighborhood, cook a meal you’ve wanted to try or begin a home improvement project you are ready to tackle, make the activity about you and make it something you want to do on your big day.
- Did someone say online shopping? I know most people are busy with work, helping with e-learning or a variety of other activities during the day, but we all know that online shopping can be everyone’s kryptonite. Treat yourself to a birthday gift this year. Hop online and get yourself a little something, something for your date of birth.
Age is but a number, but a birthday is anything but ordinary! It is time to dance like nobody’s watching, because nobody is. Enjoy your birthday and continue to stay safe and follow CDC guidelines while celebrating this year.