Drive safely this harvest season
With harvest season rapidly approaching, it is critical to know how to stay safe while sharing the road with farm equipment and other large vehicles. It is important to be mindful of large trucks and farm equipment while driving this season, since
your car may be going faster than other vehicles.
If you are a farmer and plan on driving your machinery on public roads, remember these safety guidelines to ensure the safety of everyone on the road:
- Lock your brake pedals
- Make sure mirrors are adjusted
- Before getting on the road, check that all warning flashers, lights and slow moving vehicle emblems are ready to go
- Always check tire pressures before driving on the road
- Listen for approaching vehicles
- Always be on the lookout for people, potholes, animals and other road obstacles
- Slow down when approaching sharp curves or hills
- Think about getting an escort vehicle
- When possible, drive during low traffic times—early mornings or late afternoons
Don’t forget, motorists also have a responsibility to follow safety best practices during the harvest. Click on the link below to find out more information on safety tips for the everyday driver.
Motorists Tips: http://blog.pekininsurance.com/individual/rural-road-safety-during-harvest-season
The key to staying safe on the road this harvest season is to just be patient. Remember, farmers have the right to be on the road, so make sure you are doing your part to be as safe as possible and to prevent accidents.